Friday, December 24, 2004

santee alley

I woke up early this morning to head over to downtown L.A. My friends and I made our usual stop at the flower mart to pick up some lovely calla lilies, narcissus, gladiolas, poinsettias, and other plants. We dropped them off in the car and then walked three blocks to the Fashion District to do our purse shopping. What a crazy place! Where else can you get a velour jogging suit for $17 or hear Korean shop owners speak flawless Spanish? Santee Alley is the place for knockoff designer purses. Today was my first time there. It was buzzing with all the last-minute shoppers looking for presents. There were times when, at first glance, I could not distinguish the mannequins from the vendors standing on milk crates. If you ever go there, be sure to bargain. The first price offered is rarely final. I got a pretty red Ferragamo knockoff for $15 :).

The only downside of the day was the terrible service we received at a restaurant called Sushi Fujiyoshi located at 333 E 2nd St. in Little Tokyo. Our server didn't write down our order and promptly forgot it, as we had to flag her down to remind her of the dishes we were still expecting. Other tables ordered after us and finished their meals before all of our dishes had arrived. Even to-go orders were processed before ours. I don't think we ordered a lot of food or anything complicated, but who knows. The food was decent, nothing to rave about. They did offer a unique garden roll, which my friend said I had to try. "You may never taste anything like this ever again." "Why? 'Cause we're never coming back?" "That's right."


picture, as requested

11 comments:

w said...

post a picture!

Anonymous said...

i saw the purse in person today. the picture doesn't do it justice! quite a find and a real steal at $15. i thought it just looked fabulous for a non-genuine item. good work amy. aw

w said...

yes, the purse does look much better in person!

w said...

"people are going to think that you're into women's handbags!", says amy.

"how do they know that i am not a girl?", responds winnie.

Anonymous said...

wow, i never knew you made usual stops at the flower mart, nor did i know about your knowledge of purses.

Anonymous said...

good to know about Sushi Fujiyoshi. I will put next to West Covina Wamu on the banned list.
Love the red purse. funny, it looks pink in this pic. Pink would be nice too. - jek (amy, aren't you proud of me? this is my first post!)

amysan said...

yes, v. proud. good to know you've got my back. of course, if it was a place we liked, i wouldn't put it on the banned list. i'd have you write them a nasty letter so they'd give us a free dinner or a least fried calamari :).

to the previous commenter, please give me some indication of who you are (initials or personal email) so i can write a proper response.

Anonymous said...

Why is the west covina wamu on the banned list? cd

amysan said...

Without going into detail, there was a breach of security with my checking account. I did a little research and tracked down the transaction to the West Covina branch. I went down there and gave the manager a piece of my mind. It makes me mad just thinking about it. This all could have been prevented if they had taken the proper security measures.

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued. I bank with wamu too but have never gone to the west covina branch. cd

amysan said...

i never banked at the west covina branch and now i never will. i'll give you the sketchy details in person.