Wednesday, September 21, 2005

volleyball

Last night, my friend came to volleyball to tutor me. I know a bunch of people there, but yesterday was the first time I really felt like I had an ally. I need to get used to team sports. We warmed up and then played about six games. It's a lot of fun to watch someone who is good at his primary sport. People were wowed by his spiking abilities. I'm glad I was on the same side of the net. Even his shots that went out were entertaining to watch, as they ricocheted off the floor to spill the soda in a spectator's hand or knock a wall phone off its cradle. I was encouraged to test out my overhand serve. I did all right, making it over the net every time, but hitting it out a couple of times. With this, I've already accomplished my goal for the season. One odd moment occurred when I was setting the ball and the girl behind me was so off in her timing and positioning that she swung right into my butt. She said sorry and that she didn't think anyone saw. No harm, no foul.

My "coach's" assessment of my skills: he liked my overhand game--the setting and the serving. I still need to learn the approach and the proper way to spike. And passing ... well, it's a tough skill to master :P. He made the following comment regarding the attitude/level of play at the gym. When you're a guy and you know what you're doing, you usually don't block a girl. During the last game, these two guys jumped up to block a girl. That girl was me, but I hit the ball over them :). I think the level of play would be higher if a lot of the guys just swung at the ball. These guys are taller and can jump higher than me, but most of them set or dink the ball over the net. Even I take full swings. My thinking is, even if you miss, you should go for it! It feels good and people will respect you. This applies to more than just volleyball.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, you can learn so much about life... from volleyball.

yay for volleyball/life lessons.

i don't understand how that girl hit you? she was serving?! wow, her positioning was WAAY off! doesn't that mean she was on the wrong side of the court? well, that must've been pretty uncomfortable... getting your butt jammed. =O but glad you took it well. =) look it there, life lesson learned already!

have a great day!

Anonymous said...

and wow! who's this AWESOME coach you had? i wanna meet him and see him in action! =P you too!

turtlepup said...

well, at least that girl didn't have a racquet in her hand. during one of our recent practices, my partner misjudged just how much over into my side he'd gotten (and how close he was to me) and did a full swing (at a very, very short ball). fortunately, the momentum of his racquet was slowed by the impact to my hip and the shot went in! we did win the point--as an offset to the lovely bruise i sported for the next week.

Steve said...

Nice... next time you come up to the bay area, we'll play.

amysan said...

she was going to bump the ball, so she was swinging from low to high when she hit me. it didn't hurt. she hit the fleshy part ;).

turtlepup--sorry to hear about your experience. hmm, not worth sacrificing your body for practice. a season match, maybe.