Happy Turkey Day! I was going to make the turkey this year, but I didn't want to deal with making all the side dishes, so I ordered the Turkey Dinner from Vons. The meal includes a fully cooked 10-12 lb turkey, corn bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, a dozen dinner rolls, and a pumpkin pie. It serves 6-8 and, at $37.99 with Club card, it's a great deal. It was very popular and the stores were selling out of meals. I told people I would let them know how it was, so here it goes. You get what you pay for. All the food was pre-cooked, but was in a dry/thawed state. It took about 90 mins to heat the turkey, 30-40 mins for the sides, 3 mins for the rolls, and 4-7 mins for the gravy and pie.
The texture for everything was good. The turkey was moist and tender with the meat almost falling off the bone as you cut it. The rolls were like what you got in the school cafeteria.The potatoes and stuffing were light and moist. The only thing lacking was the taste. Dinner guests included members of my immediate family and people from my mom's side of the family. Besides my mom and me, the rest were guys. They thought it was good, but I was disappointed.
Next year, I'm going to make the dinner myself. This is me, someone who can cook, but given a choice, prefers not to. I missed my garlic mashed potatoes. But maybe next year we'll have them au gratin? Thanksgiving only comes once a year :).
1 comment:
mm yummy! we ordered family thanksgiving meals before too. i don't remember anything fantastic about them... besides the fact that i finally found out what stuffing was supposed to look and taste like.
Post a Comment