Tuesday, December 05, 2006

bird-watching

This weekend left me exhausted and overstimulated. On Sunday, I went to see Disney's "The Lion King" at the Pantages Theater. "The Lion King" is probably my favorite Disney film. When my brothers were toddlers, they watched it every day and I often watched it with them. A few years ago, I saw it in the huge IMAX theater in San Francisco. It's a great movie in which to have surround sight and sound. The musical was fantastic, a combination of a ballet and puppet show. The main characters carried large masks to portray emotions, reminiscent of Greek drama, and they depicted the animals in bold, colorful costumes and emulated their movement patterns with stilts and other apparatus. It followed the movie pretty closely, but with a few added songs. A must see.

4 comments:

turtlepup said...

Too bad you weren't able to take pictures in the theatre. I saw The Lion King in London and the costuming was absolutely fantastic! I imagine it was the same for your show. Definitely recommend...for adults and kiddies. ;o)

Anonymous said...

oo yah, something i wanna see! great review amysan!

Anonymous said...

I've heard it is better in London? RN

amysan said...

it probably is better in london. theater in london is amazing! turtlepup took me to see "mamma mia" in london and it was fantastic! then we saw it in san jose and she was like, "why aren't you singing?" it just wasn't as good.