Monday, March 26, 2007
waiting
My college roommate had a picture of a train station as the wallpaper on her computer. One of my friends came over and said she had the same scene, and that there was something very romantic about train stations. I used to think airports were romantic. That is, until I was stranded in Heathrow for 6-8 hours flying stand-by. I jumped on the next available flight, even though it wasn't to my final destination. "I just want to get back to America!" I was reminded of this as I sat waiting at the airport this weekend. Thousands of people coming and going. Returning home or starting a new life. I mostly travel for fun, so I love airports and train stations, but I know someone who associates them with sadness because when she was growing up, it always meant someone was leaving :(.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I used to think that I loved airports and train stations themselves, but after traveling about twice a month for work, I realised that it's only the anticipation of where you're going. All airports are pretty much the same now--only thing that's exciting is when there's good shopping at a particular airport (rarer and rarer nowadays as even the tax/duty "discount" doesn't make the items cheaper than what you could get in the real world just by knowing where to shop). I do like the enforced "downtime" at airports and when traveling -- hours of quiet reading w/o the guilt! I just wish my favorite authors wrote fast enough to keep up w/the number of hours I travel.... ;o)
I don't particularly like taking anyone else to the airport/train stations b/c it does make me sad seeing someone off. I love traveling but I think it's more about the destination. If I could, I would transport myself magically to each location omitting the hassles of traveling by bus/trains/airport. =) nt.
:-) i like this post. reminded me of "love actually."
yes. my favorite part of the movie was when the girl said, "the worst part of my day is leaving you" and colin firth said, "the best part of my day is driving you home." or something like that.
Post a Comment