Friday, October 21, 2011

China

I was so impressed during my trip to Beijing and Xi'an.  China does not disappoint with it's size and grandeur.  We visited a lot of the touristy sites ... the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tienanmen Square, Summer Palace, Terra Cotta Warriors ... and saw some things the locals may find ordinary, but I found delightful.



love this wedding videographer's commitment to getting the shot during weekend traffic

I always make it a point to visit McDonald's in foreign countries though I rarely visit in my own.  I love taro! and in China they have taro pie.  It's not as good as fresh taro, but it is deep fried (unlike McD's pies in America which are baked)

The Great Wall is a must see.  It's difficult to capture it's magnitude in a single picture.  Up close you don't see the length.  From far away, it looks like a skinny line.  It's massive.  And steep.

We visited the Great Wall at Mutianyu and took the ski lift up, walked along the wall, and took the toboggan down. 

The highlight of my trip was seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors in Xi'an.  Over 7,000 soldiers, horses, and chariots were built to protect Emperor Qin Shi Huang in the afterlife.  They are larger than life with unique expressions, facial hair, and hairstyles.  Archeologists are still excavating the pits to dig up and assemble the remains which were destroyed by earthquake.

No comments: