Saturday, June 30, 2012

wildlife learning center

I attended a fundraiser for the Wildlife Learning Center.  I did not know such a place existed in Sylmar.  They keep animals who were sent there after their owners were no longer able to keep them, zoos could not house them, or needed special care.  It's a small place, easily seen in half a day, but they have an impressive collection of wild animals and allowed us to interact with many of them.

Stanley the Giraffe is not part of the Wildlife Learning Center, but belongs to its neighbor, who allowed him to be a part of the day's event.  You might have seen him in movies and commercials.
American Alligator
Sulcata Tortoises
Red-tailed Hawk
Petunia the Porcupine.  I loved feeding her.  So much cuddlier than I ever imagined.
Joe Bruin.  Also not part of the Wildlife Learning Center.  Only there for the day's events ;)
Lola is a two-toed Sloth who came to the WLC as an overflow from a zoo.  She's so gentle and sweet.  Her only defense is camouflage.  In the rainforest, moss would grow on her fur, making her all green.
Bald Eagle
Siberian Lynx


No comments: