In the parking lot, one of the caddies rode up in a golf cart and asked if I was playing golf today. I said yes and he loaded my golf bag onto the cart. I told him my golf buddy had just pulled up down the row and he went to get his bag too. When we went down, everything was ready for us. The cart had tees, a cooler, towels, and was equipped with GPS that told you your yardage from the pin and kept score for you. Mike asked if the towels were scented. I said nope, just bleach. He said he had been to a course where the towels are mango scented. Mmmm.
The course was pretty. Lots of hills and more bunkers than I've ever seen. It was a good challenge. I played terribly. Perhaps I should have practiced beforehand. I thought 18 holes would be enough practice. Maybe I'm not getting the whole scoring concept. There were a couple of holes overlooking the ocean, but the majority of the course is not by the water. Unless you count the water hazards. I lost 4 balls to the water, though I consider the first one (my tee shot on the first hole) a sacrifice to the golf gods.
The service there could not be beat. Friendly staff, always ready to help. One gentleman even retrieved my pitching wedge (P-wizzy) after I had left it at the 9th hole. When we were done, a caddy went with us to our cars and unloaded our clubs.
So, that's the good life. I enjoyed it immensely, but am still looking forward to returning to "the country club" (Alhambra Golf Course). I still haven't played the last 5 holes there.

monarch beach, photo courtesy of mcnugget
2 comments:
I'm not much of a golfer, but am curious how you manage not to play the last 5 holes at your "country club". What...do you go there and play 3 holes at a time or something? Or do you go and play the same 13 holes every time? Very strange. Playing the full 18 at Monarch Beach must've been exhausting (even w/the assistance of a golf cart and slavish caddies!).
we just don't get there early enough to play the full 18 before the sun sets. it's even harder now, after the time change. we've played the first nine holes four times now.
Post a Comment