Yesterday, one of the girls at work asked me what kind of stuff I like. Unsure, I said, "What do you mean? like food?" She said, "Anything. We (the other staff and I) were wondering what to get each other for Christmas." I couldn't come up with anything on the spot, so I asked them what they all liked. They shared with me their interests and also their gift ideas for the office manager, who was out of the office. My first thought was Oh, they're really into gifts (and I'm not). Great. I started a Holiday Wish List, to make everyone's life a little easier.
Two of the girls wrote stuff like body sprays, perfumes. Ewwww. I Hate getting that kinda stuff! I'm still attempting to use up lotions from years past. Am I that anti-girl? No, I think it's because I try not to use anything scented when dealing with the public. They also listed purses and jewelry, which I like. I wrote that I try not to accumulate "stuff." I like consumables, e.g. FOOD, tennis balls, golf balls. Last year I made a vow to live a more minimalist life, inspired by my move from northern to southern CA. I've been pretty good too, replacing things here and there and only buying things I felt were necessary. Consequently, holiday gift exchanges are a struggle for me. I hate feeling obligated to buy presents and, even worse, accepting things I don't want or need is a burden on the vow I've tried so hard to keep. So, I got very specific, listing snacks that will not last long in my drawer.
I'm not a total Grinch. I do enjoy buying presents when I think the intended receiver will truly appreciate it. This season, I look forward to fulfilling some holiday wishes and doing some guilt-free shopping :).
2 comments:
So what on that list Amysan? Throw us a bone here!
well, the consumables i listed and, more specifically, Luna bars, Nature Valley granola bars, Trader Joe's cranberry chocolate crunch trail mix. Gift cards--Subway, Islands, Target. Now you know where I go during my lunch, before I take a nap in my car :).
Post a Comment