Today at work we closed up shop half an hour early to go to our Christmas lunch at Claim Jumper. I've been there before, but had forgotten just how huge the portions are. I had rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and garlic cheese toast. Part of the chicken was underdone, but I simply put that aside. There was still enough to fill me up and take home as leftovers. After our meal, everyone was too stuffed for dessert, so we ended up ordering something we could bring back to the office. Enter the Chocolate Motherlode Cake. They aren't kidding. It comes in a sturdy cardboard carrying case with the name printed on two sides and the restaurant's logo on the others. We got the 3 layer cake. It also comes in 6 layers. Scary.
When we opened the box, we found a brick of a cake the size of two of our normal birthday cakes. The office manager cut the cake and we both giggled as each piece made a loud plop sound on the paper plate. If you're not a fan of chocolate, stay away from this cake. It is chocolate on chocolate on chocolate. Three layers of chocolate cake with chocolate chips baked into the bottom of each, then smothered with chocolate frosting in between and on the sides and topped with coarsely chopped walnuts. I only ate about half of my piece. I was afraid of overdosing. That really says something about this cake, as I have no self-control.
chocolate motherlode cake

cake and box
3 comments:
Hi Amy – That’s funny! Huge portions is the MAIN thing I remember about Claim Jumper, having been there only once. I also remember it’s pretty yummy. The cake sounds irresistible! Don’t know if I can find anything like that in VN. We should have a feast when I get back, the two of us and Baskin Robbins ice cream cake! KB
That cake looked enormous...until you put it next to the box. Then it seemed like a toy version. Even though I'm not a huge choc fan, the cake looked tempting. I'm surprised you managed to hold off to half a piece (though I notice you don't say how big the piece was. It is what was taken out of the cake picture??? Oink, oink. :)
indeed, the cake is huge. that box is big enough to hold the 6-layer cake. i mean, 6-layers!?! it would take a serving dish to hold a slice of that cake! fyi, my piece was the size of the one next to the box :) that cake IS very tempting. i think i'll pick one up for the next bookclub meeting. $22 for 3 layers. so worth it!
Post a Comment