Saturday, February 05, 2005

football

The sports ministry at my church organized its annual Chili Bowl today, the day before the Superbowl. It is a full day event with a chili cook off and co-ed flag football tournament. 100+ players, 8 teams, and 8 pots of chili.

The organizers did a great job, with safety and good sportsmanship as top priorities. They warned us not to wear sunglasses, metal spikes, or knee braces with exposed metal. Tape was provided for us to tape up our shorts pockets so they wouldn't rip if someone grabbed a pocket instead of a flag. There was no downfield blocking for the offensive team and only shadow blocking was allowed, with hands at your sides or across your chest. Quarterbacks were not allowed to run. They had to get rid of the ball within 5 seconds. Enforcing the rules were two referees for each game, fully equipped with whistles, stopwatches, and yellow flags.

My team swept! I was a bit apprehensive when I was the only one from my team to show up for the football clinic the week before, but I guess the other members didn't need the practice. We had a guy who played quarterback in high school and he came up with a lot of plays, which we executed with ease. Also key was the fact that the girls on my team rocked! The organizers created "gender rules" so that at least 2 of the 7 players on the field were female and at least one was involved with a play once for every 4 downs. Many times, we had three girls on the field, subbing out our star quarterback. I learned a lot about football and even got to quarterback for the first time. I did throw one interception :(, but the guy didn't get very far, as I ran and grabbed his flag on the spot. Ours was the only team to go undefeated, winning all three of our games, 28-6, 35-14, 26-12.

Still, the day was not about winning or eating chili (gasp). Our theme verse was 1 Corinthians 12:12. “Our bodies have many parts, but the many parts make up only one body when they are all put together. So it is with the “body” of Christ.” It takes many ingredients to make good chili and many players to make a great team. I got to meet new people and walked away without any major injuries (we prayed before and after each game), but I'm glad this contest only takes place once a year. I've got a lot of bruising around my knees and minor scratches on my knees, upper thigh and elbow. And I anticipate delayed onset muscle soreness in a couple of days. Oh joy.

1 comment:

turtlepup said...

You guys must play football differently. I usually find myself praying during the game.