I've been told I don't post often enough, so I will write about what I did last weekend. I went to a bridal shower for one of my college friends who is getting married next month. Her bridesmaids did a beautiful job with the decorating and keeping us entertained. 16 women were present and we played a variety of shower games:
1. Everyone was given a pretty clip when they arrived and told not to cross her legs either at the knee or ankle throughout the length of the shower. If you caught someone with her legs crossed, you call her on it and take her clip. The person with the most clips at the end of the shower won. I guess at baby showers, they do something similar where you are not allowed to say the word "baby."
2. Bridal shower bingo--get five in a row on your bingo card to win.
3. Hold a blank piece of paper over your head and tear out a wedding dress without looking up. The bride-to-be chooses the best dress.
4. Word-find with words about the bride and groom. I think the bridesmaid used an online program to create the puzzle. I won this game, yay!
5. Blind-folded, pick out little gold safety pins from a bowl of rice. This was pretty challenging. After a while, your fingers get coated and the two feel very similar.
6. The bride-to-be answered questions about her fiance that he had previously answered. Our bride did really well and got 18/26 correct. I think the ones she missed were ambiguous and didn't have clear-cut answers. I love this game because you always learn new things about the couple. Some of us had to get out our tissues.
For the luncheon, we sat at tables with lace tablecloths and cloth napkins. The china we used belonged to the hostess's mother and grandmother, some of which dated back over 60 years. The dishes had delicate floral patterns and golden edges that are less popular today. Each table had a centerpiece of fresh flowers and a party favor for each guest--a plastic swan with Hershey Kisses and Jordan almonds wrapped in sage green tulle and tied with a pink ribbon (the wedding colors).
The food was no less elegant. We ate croissant sandwiches with spinach and strawberry salad, fried dumplings, chicken wrapped in bacon, and fresh fruits--honeydew, cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Our goblets were filled with iced tea and that yummy punch that I only get at weddings and showers--a mix of Sprite, Hawaiian punch and sherbet kept cool with an ice ring.
Afterwards, we went into the reception room for presents and cake. As the guest of honor opened her gifts, the giver sat in the chair next to her to give her some words of wisdom on how to have a happy marriage or life. Half of us were not married, but it was touching all the same. We ended the event with a peach cake from a Chinese bakery. This was just the beginning of my week-long sugar high, with Valentine's Day, two office birthdays, and a potluck within the next few days.
3 comments:
So what was your advice?
well, i remembered something my wise friend told me, that marriage is about two imperfect people coming together so it's expected that there will be disappointment, but that things will be okay as long as you communicate and resolve your problems Biblically.
Post a Comment