Tuesday, October 17, 2006

reconditioning

Today I went to see Craig Liebenson, D.C. about my hip. This guy is a published author and expert in rehabilitation. His work is cutting edge. He works with many professional athletes and comes highly recommended by my friend and colleague (the most important credential). He put me through all sorts of orthopedic and functional tests, including gait analysis and endurance tests. He said I'm having inflammatory reactions and possibly bursitis in the hip. Also, my body has been decondiioned since I drastically cut down on my activities after the accident (probably was not a good idea). My biggest problem is the imbalance of my musculature, more of a software problem than a hardware one. We need to retrain the central nervous system to correct the source of the problems, not just the symptoms. This means training the muscle fibers to fire correctly and "waking up" my diaphragm so I can breathe properly while contracting my muscles. To reduce the inflammation, I'm taking anti-inflammatories (Advil) and eating a healthy diet with no fried foods, more fruits and vegetables, no coffee or carbonated drinks, and more water. I'm starting with "bridge" exercises for my upper hamstrings and gluts and we will add exercises one at a time. At the beginning of my consultation, he asked me what my biggest fear was with this hip injury. I said that it would never get better :(. He said that it will, and that it will probably be better than before because I'm focusing so much attention on it. I had such an emotional release leaving his office. I have hope, after 6+ months, that I will get better. That was my birthday wish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Amy! I have hope that you will get better! Will continue to keep you in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Yeh Amy! I'm so happy that there is hope. I will try to keep that in mind in the future. Rest isn't always the solution. You will be back in no time, sorry about the fried foods. *sniff* One of my faves!
--RN