Thursday, July 05, 2007

the kwik-e-mart

Twentieth Century Fox has teamed up with 7-Eleven to promote The Simpsons Movie, which opens Friday, July 27. In a very successful reverse product placement campaign, twelve 7-Eleven stores have been converted to Kwik-E-Marts, the convenience store featured on the TV show. Last week, I visited the store in Burbank. In the middle of a weekday, there was a line outside the door. There was a guy regulating the number of people who could enter the store. Every customer had a camera or cameraphone out, taking pictures of the sign outside, the graffiti on the building signed "El Barto," the funny signs in the store, and the plastic larger-than-life characters. There was a buzz in the air, even though there was no Buzz Cola on the shelves. Everything was sold out. There was no KrustyO's cereal or even pink donuts. I asked the guy when they expected to get more products in stock and he said hopefully by the next day. The turnout was so much greater than what they ever imagined. The day before, a truck drove all the way from Georgia to deliver cups. Okay, so I did get a "Blue Woohoo! Vanilla" Squishee in a Squishee cup. I would have been very disappointed if I left empty-handed. It was a lot of fun and I plan on returning. For Simpsons fans, it is definitely worth checking out, but go when it's less crowded. Remember, they are open 24 hrs.

check out more pics at LAist





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to go! Were you planning on eating one of those pink donuts if they had them??? RN