Saturday, July 28, 2007

hamming it up

My friends were visiting from out of town and we were about to have dinner. I suggested Kostas Family Restaurant in West Covina. We were in the area and I've been wanting to try that place since I'm a big fan of Greek food. Turns out Kostas has Greek, Italian, and Mexican. I had a gyro sandwich and my friends had the lamb shanks and Greek salad. The food was good, but the real draw is that they have karaoke on Saturday and Sunday nights. Normally, I don't like karaoke, but there is something liberating about singing on stage in front of an audience of strangers. The crowd was a bunch of regulars, some with their own CDs. They were so encouraging and friendly, "pick a song! any song!" They all said goodbye to each other at the end of the night and wished my friend a belated Happy Birthday. It's an older crowd, but you can't find a nicer bunch.

No comments: