True to its name, The Cellar has an extensive and award-winning wine list and there is an expectation that diners partake. We opted for the still water and this time it was Acqua Panna :). We started with herb bread and butter and our first course. We had a choice of French onion soup and Foie de Canard. Having tried both, I say you can’t go wrong with either. Presentation, taste, texture—they were all done well. The main courses came out hidden beneath silver covers and our servers simultaneously uncovered our dishes on the count of trois. We chose between Duck with blackberry sauce and wild rice and Poached Salmon in a Chardonnay sauce. This round went to the duck. The sauce had a wonderful flavor that covered up the gaminess of the duck that I dislike so much. I think it also helps that the duck was very thinly sliced, unlike the big chunks you find at Chinese restaurants. The salmon was soft, but lacked a strong flavor. It makes me want to try the salmon on their regular menu, which is prepared with a rich saffron cream sauce instead. Dessert was Grand Marnier or chocolate soufflĂ©. I preferred the taste of the orange liqueur to the latter, which tasted very similar to a cup of hot chocolate.
I love French food and culture, so I was really looking forward to eating at the The Cellar. It only exceeded my expectations and was such a pleasant dining experience. The food was delicious, leaving me full but not overly stuffed, and staff was charming and attentive from the moment we entered to the time we left.
.jpg)
soupe a l'oignon gratinee au gruyere. french onion soup baked over with gruyere swiss cheese
terrine de foie de canard. duck liver and black truffle terrine served with french cornichons and toast points
salmon poached with a chardonnay cream sauce
.jpg)
preparing the grand marnier souffle, ooh la la!
1 comment:
...sounds like fun!--RN
Post a Comment