Tuesday, March 15, 2005

black and white

Last Saturday, I attended the wedding of one of my college friends. The bride and groom met in college and are forever Bruins. Preceding the ceremony, a string quartet played soft music, including the UCLA alma mater, "Hail to the Hills of Westwood." It was subtle, but one of my friends picked up on it. At the reception, the wedding party entered accompanied by music from the UCLA marching band CD. The school fight song blared while the happy couple made their appearance.

The bride and groom looked amazing and the ceremony was very touching. There was just one hitch. One of the groomsmen fainted on stage. That's right, fainted. Everyone had their eyes on the singers performing a duet. All of a sudden, I hear a thud and look to see the groomsman fall on the ground. He was totally out and was quickly carried to the first pew. The music continued. He revived and was fine. I'm not sure of the cause. It may have been a combination of locking his knees for a long period of time, the heat from the lights and his suit, and low blood sugar (my friend told me afterward that he is diabetic). He was co-MC at the reception and joked that if the couple submitted their wedding video to "America's Funniest Home Videos," he would not ask to split the prize money with them.

From the beginning of the wedding until the end of the post-reception dancing, I was there about 7 hours. I bought new strappy black shoes for the occasion. I already had strappy black shoes, but they have 4 inch heels and I thought that was too high. I showed my friend my new shoes after I had bought them and she said they looked comfortable. "They are," I responded. Two blisters later, I changed my mind. I've learned that 3 inch heels are not to be considered sensible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

true bruins! =)
almost every wedding has a hiccup. this was a good one! glad everyone could laugh about it too!
hope your blisters heal up soon!