We arrived at the registration area at 7:30am and were shuttled to the starting point. We had a choice between 9 trails, ranging from easy to strenuous. We chose the moderate trail from Palm Canyons to the stone pools--5.7 miles, 880 ft. gain. There could not have been a better day for the hike. The sun was out and the desert flowers were in bloom. For the first half of the trek, I walked behind a seasoned hiker who told me the names of the flora we encountered. We saw cacti--teddy bear, staghorn, hedgehog, and barrel cholla and flowers--phacilia, mallow, desert lavender, and lupine. The wretched field mustard reminded us of our freshman days in biology class when we had to make trips to the Creek with our lab books.
We got some comedy relief when we stopped at the halfway point, a stream that was filled from the recent rain storms. Two girls had crossed the stream and were trying to get their other friend to cross. She refused. A man said, "Don't do it. If you fall, the water will carry you down." One girl came back to get her, but slipped and fell in the water up to her chest. We were waiting for her to be carried down, but she just got up and was fine. Why they crossed at the deepest part of the stream, I have no idea.
After the hike, we were shuttled back to the celebration area to pick up our t-shirts and goodie bags. The best thing was the bathroom clock radio (battery included). We also got Chapstick, sunblock, hair products, toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, foot soap, raisins, and snack bars.
We headed for the Cabazon Outlets on the way home. They have a lot of nice stores, but all I got was a smoothie. Maybe because I was tired and sweaty. Maybe I just wasn't in a shopping mood. Maybe I'm sticking to my minimalist vow. Whatever the reason, it's for the best.
**special thanks to those who allowed me to publish their pictures**

along the Palm Canyons trail

big rocks

Palm Springs

hug this teddy bear and you'll need tweezers
No comments:
Post a Comment