Monday, June 06, 2005

dining

I spent the weekend dining at historical landmarks in the greater L.A. area. I had never eaten at any of these places, even though I was born and raised in southern CA. It's time I get out and explore.

First, I went to Philippe's French Dip in downtown L.A. It was established in 1908 and the ladies there still wear the old-style uniforms. You order at the counter and the cashier has you put your money on a little tray. They don't touch the money directly. I had a turkey sandwich, a bowl of chili, and a lemonade. The sandwich is pre-dipped. Next time I'm going to order extra au jus on the side. I like it saucy! Everyone in my party ordered the chili. No coincidence, it is yummy. They make it with and without beans. I saw on the Food Network that "real" Texan chili is meat and spices, no beans. They also sell desserts--cake, pies, custard, and donuts.

The next day, I ate at The Hat. I see this chain restaurant all the time. Finally, I gave it a try. I was starving when I arrived, but still agreed to split a pastrami sandwich. Good call. After eating that plus wet fries (fries covered in gravy), it felt like a brick had dropped in my stomach. Mmm, but I do love those fries! It was a huge order and steaming hot when it arrived. I couldn't have been more pleased. And how often do I get to drink Orange Bang? That's good stuff.

For dinner, I wanted something simple and not too heavy. I ate at Pho 79 in Alhambra. It was one of the first, if not the first, pho restaurant to open in the Monterey Park/Alhambra area. I had spring rolls and the noodle soup with rare beef. It was tasty and hit the spot. I can't wait to go back and try the 7 course beef. It is a set menu with a lot of food. I was told 2 orders for 3 people is about right.

It was a fun, relaxing weekend. My mid-year resolution is to slow down and try to take it easy on the weekends. I think it's manageable. I'm going to my last wedding of the year next weekend. It's the same day as my boss's 45th wedding anniversary. I asked her, "Is it a good day to get married?" She said, "Yes! It's a great day!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Orange Bang? What is that? cd

Anonymous said...

Orange Bang? What is that? cd

amysan said...

you've never had orange bang? oh dear. it's a fountain drink from the same makers of horchata! (mexico's favorite drink)http://www.orangebang.com/

turtlepup said...

Orange Bang is just about the best nostagic drink there is! My mouth watered when I read that part of your blog....