Okay, the heat is finally getting to me. At work today, I felt so nauseated that I suspected I had food poisoning caused by the Subway sandwich I had for lunch. I was already doubled over in pain from severe cramps (sorry, guys), but I had a job to do. Near the end of a fairly busy day, I was talking to my boss in her office when I started seeing everything in an intense bright light. Then everything sounded muffled for about 10 seconds. I excused myself and went to the restroom where I broke into an intense sweat. My clothes were drenched and I removed them to cool down. I felt better after about 5 minutes and came out to talk to the girls in the office. I don't think they've ever seen me like that. My face looked gray, I was so pale. My boss told me to go home and to grab a Coke on the way. I've heard of 7-up or ginger ale for an upset stomach, but Coke? She said there is something in the syrup and that as kids, her mother used to give them pure Coke syrup when they had upset stomachs. Yeah yeah, spare me the old wives' tales.
Actually, a Coke didn't sound like a bad idea. I stopped at the In-N-Out drive thru and ordered a large. This is Huge for 2 reasons. 1. I Never go to In-N-Out. I have nothing against them, I just don't eat burgers. 2. I Rarely drink soda. Maybe once every 2 months, if even that. I did feel a lot better on my way home. I think I had a mild case of heat exhaustion. I need to adapt. Going forward, I will increase my water intake and refrain from napping in my car on a day where the high is 107 degrees F.
3 comments:
I have heard the bit about the Coke syrup too, from my manager, who was told by her children's pediatrician.
Have never heard of the medicinal attributes of Coke, but believe it is great at cleaning car batteries. Perhaps your innards needed a good scrubbing? Am pleased that you recovered. I have had these types of episodes as well--a couple of times in flight at 30k+ altitude. Not sure what causes it...had always assumed it was minor food poisoning....
I remember reading a
piece in Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story" that Coke was originally developed as headache medicine. Some interesting points to this story are that 1) carbonated water was used accidentally, it was not in the original recipe. 2) the original recipe contains coca plant ingredients, some guess it was cocaine.
This
website talks about the history.
Post a Comment