Saturday, June 18, 2005

the grotto

After a long week, I took some time to relax and hang out with friends at Glen Ivy Hot Springs Spa in Corona. It was a perfect day for lounging by the pool. The facilities include a lounge pool, a lap pool, and terrace pools, but my friends and I were more interested in the mineral baths and Club Mud, the red clay mineral bath.

First, we soaked in the mineral bath to open up our pores and relax our muscles. The sulfer smells, but you get used to it. Then we went to the mud bath, where we slathered smooth red clay onto our bodies. The clay is supposed to draw impurities from your pores and release waste from the skin. We got out so the mud could dry and gathered in the Wafa room, but found it hard to talk with the mud masks drying around our mouths. Once the mud became dry and powdery, we brushed it off with our hands. This is supposed to exfoliate and revitalize the skin. I did feel very smooth afterwards. I love how they placed a full-length mirror by the mud baths. It is tilted at a slight angle so your reflection is especially flattering.

My friend and I went into The Grotto for an extra fee. There are four stages. First, an attendant applies a warm mixture of sea kelp and aloe vera with a paintbrush. Once you're covered in green goop, you go into the hydrating chamber set at 92 degrees and rub the moisturizer into your skin. Next, you rinse off in the shower room and then go into the Relaxation Room where you can help yourself to Glen Ivy tea, water, and a crisp green apple.

What a difference three hours at the spa makes! Driving home, I was in such a good mood and feeling very content. I looked in the bathroom mirror and my skin looked so much better! I wish I had bought some of the overpriced beauty products at the spa store. Can anyone recommend a good masque?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow... sounds like you got a good deal for the money you paid. feeling refreshed and relaxed is PRICELESS! (well, almost) =P