Tuesday, May 24, 2005

withdrawal

While I was in school, I relied heavily on coffee to help me through the early morning classes and hours of studying. On weekends, I'd get out of bed just because I knew there was a pot of freshly brewed coffee waiting for me. I remember one lazy Saturday when I heard the voices of my friends in the living room and got up to pour myself a large cup of Cafe Verona. To my dismay, it was too hot for me to drink, even with the added milk. I went back to bed and got up an hour later to drink my lovely lukewarm coffee. Only then could I socialize as a less grumpy version of myself.

I decided that I would give up coffee after I finished school. I only drank one cup a day, albeit a large cup, in the morning. Still, I didn't like my reliance on a chemical stimulant. It took about two grueling weeks to give up my vice, but I did it. Then, after almost falling asleep several times during the 40-minute commute to my new job, I knew I had to do something. I started drinking green tea, chock-full of antioxidants.

This morning, I started work at 12 noon. My routine is thrown out of kilter whenever I sleep in. I skip my regular breakfast meal and go straight to lunch. I went to work today and felt unusually tired. After the staff meeting, I sat at my desk holding my head and wondering why my head hurt. Oh yeah, I forgot to have my tea this morning. Blah, I still haven't kicked the habit.

No comments: