Monday, October 24, 2005

walking

On Saturday, some friends and I did the 5K Run/Walk for the Mucopolysaccharidosis Society. MPS is a rare fatal genetic disorder in which the children lack the enzyme that breaks down mucopolysaccharides and mucolipidosis in the body. Instead, they are stored in the body and cause damage to major organs including the respiratory system, heart, bones and nervous system. Without treatment, most children die before adulthood. My friend's cousin has this disorder. A lot of the people at the race were there to support someone they knew with the disorder. I liked how a lot of the groups had team shirts with a picture of the affected child.

We ended up walking the whole 3.1 miles. Other people either ran the 3.1 miles or walked the 1 mile. I was disappointed because I had prepared mentally and physically to jog it. By the time we finished, they had already turned off the clock. Still, it was enough for me to justify eating bratwurst and cheesy fries at Oktoberfest that night.


bratwurst, sauerkraut, potatoes, and rye bread


cheesy fries


chicken hat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the chicken hat!

www.doubleohthree.com

amyjae said...

how motivating to be in an event for a good reason! whether it be MPS or for a specific person! did you guys have good conversation when you walked? well, yummy food is good. i can SO see our doubleohthree-friend wearing the chicken hat. is that weird? haha.